Thursday, August 23, 2007

Academic Phrasebank



Very useful site that will definitely help you the next time you are writing an academic paper in English by listing the phrases commonly used in academic writing.

For example, look at "Comparing and contrasting" for phrases used in this type of writing, such as

X is different from Y in a number of respects.

Oral societies tend to be more concerned with the present, whereas literate societies have a very definite awareness of the past.


Here are some other things you do when writing such texts:

Defining Terms
Giving Examples
Classifying and Listing
Explaining cause and effect
Comparing and contrasting
Writing about the past
Describing trends
Describing quantities

1 comment:

  1. Hey Frank!
    Hope you've enjoyed the summer break so far, I certainly have!

    Listen, I was just browsing around your blog (yes, after some time offline I started blogging again), and I noticed this great tool on your site, named "Google Translations"! This really looks like a very cool feature which would fit onto my blog as well! How did you incorporate it into your own site?
    Thanks for helping me out, and I whish you all the best for the rest of your vacation!

    Take it easy,
    George

    ReplyDelete